Monday, September 19, 2011

Social Media Revolution


The video Social Media Revolution 2 impressed  me a  lot. It is amazing how fast the world of social media grows and how social media has been able to take over  in such a short time. The video states a lot of facts the social media revolution in our times, and how the internet and its wide accessibility change the society and interlink  people over the whole world in such a little time.  I still remember 5 years ago when I signed up for Facebook and RENREN(Chinese version of Facebook), the population of users just started to grow, and now it’s more than what I could ever imagined.  I love all the statistics that is shown in the video, it puts the whole thing into perspective and how much social media has become a part of people’s daily lives.
As an ESL teacher, I think the social media should be the learning tool for L2 learners. When I was learning English on my freshman year at collage, English version Facebook and YouTube were the websites that I browsed every day,  which is the place I interact with English native speakers. I think L2 learners will be intrigued by the opportunity to learn something of L2 and its culture via social medias.
Social media could be the platforms that facilitate L2 students to learn L2 effectively. Here are some thoughts that I would like to try in my future teaching:
Join native speakers through groups on Facebook:

Learning French
Finding native speakers on Twitter:
Talking with native speakers on Skype:

Tech teacher Silvia Tolisano, speaking from Buenos Aires via Skype video calling, describes how her students have been going around the world via Skype.